Why is it important to keep your gutters clean is probably a big question on all the minds of homeowners.
Most of you should have your gutter cleaned or at least have it planned to clean your gutters by now, but as you are cleaning or if you have a company come to clean them your mind is probably thinking “Why?”.
There are a few great and important reason to have a clean gutter. If we don’t think about them until we have a problem it’s often much more costly to fix it instead of paying the smaller fee of getting them clean ( or if you do it yourself no fee).
If you neglect cleaning your gutters it can cause problems such as:
- Preventing water damage is the most important because if your gutters are spurting out water on your home it can lead to mold, and make your home less stable. Thus costing you way more money to replace siding or fascia boards or anything, which is a pain in the neck.
- If you forget or keep putting cleaning your gutters off it will eventually lead to your gutters being full and all of the drains plugged which causes water overflow. Plus a few icky gutter debris. This damages your foundation and home. Gutters are not invincible so they will bend, break and eventually fall off your home taking out whatever lies in its path. Talk about expensive repairs.
- Another nasty and expensive repair that overflowing gutters can cause is wood rot. The areas that are affected first are the fascia boards then because of the splash effect will cause doorways, garage doors, and low to the ground siding/decking to rot. Big expensive mess.
- With all of the stale water and rotting wood that attracts mosquitoes and other rodents to your home. Which will nest and raise more of their kind in your gutters and places that are perfect for intruders to get into. Issues like rotting wood can exposing people and things you love to disease and harmful things.
- Finally for all of you home owners who get snow and ice. Gutters that are clogged and full before winter, it’s going to be an issue. Taking a huge risk on damage to your home because that time of year causes ice dams. Ice starts to build up in your gutters and builds up on your roof. Slow melt of warm days and freezing nights this will allow water to seep through your ceiling and walls. Snow destroys any type of finishing you have and if you don’t attend to it. It can lead to mold and your floors can be destroyed.
All of these things will make the value of your home go down as well.
If you plan on moving fixing these issues will help. So avoid all these possible problems by cleaning your gutters out at least twice a year to avoid a headache.
For a free estimate on gutter cleaning, repairs or adding gutter guards, call us today! Gutters & Guards experienced team will take the guess-work out of the process, and ensure that your home is protected.
Tags: Charlottesville Virginia, Construction and Maintenance, damage, Debris, fall, fall weather, Gutter Guard, Gutter Guards, Gutters, Gutters and Guards, Home repair, Mother Nature, Rain, Rain gutter, repair, Virginia, Water damage, Weather, winter