Maintaining your gutters is vital for keeping your home safe from water damage and other things that might threaten the safety of your home.
So what do you do when your gutters reach the end of their lifespan or if you buy a new home and are not sure how long or how well maintained those gutter are. You could call a professional, which is usually the easiest ( we do offer FREE estimates) or if you are would rather check it out for yourself first then get a second opinion, that’s another way to check them. But how do you even start or know what to look for? We’ve listed a few guidelines that will help you decide if you need to repair them or replace them.
First of all you need to find out if there are any leaks or spots that look like problem areas.
Go out on a dry day and look at all of your gutters.
Things to look for:
- Rust spots (especially at the bottom of gutters)
- Look for sagging and/or splitting
- Extending at least 10 ft from the foundation
Then go out on a rainy day ( don’t forget to dress appropriately)
- Make sure that the rain is smoothly running out of your downspouts
- Not leaking out of the top
Top 4 Problems that can be repaired
- Need cleaned
- Leaking – check for disconnected joints, holes, and cracks (small holes and cracks are easily repairable with clear, water-resistant glue)
- Broken or loose hangers
Top 8 Problems that need to be replaced
- Nails popping out
- Floppy gutters
- Loose or missing gutter sections
- Landscape is washed away after a good storm
- Large puddles of water appear by your home after a storm
- Evidence of water staining and mold on building fascia
- Exterior post damage
- Lack of water flow
Make sure to check and fix any problems with your gutters and downspouts regularly. The best way to do all of this is when you clean out your gutters at least twice a year. If you are too busy we do have a Long-Term Maintenance program when we would check for problems each time we visit.
For a free estimate on gutter cleaning, repairs or adding gutter guards, call us today! Our experienced team will take the guess-work out of the process, and ensure that your home is protected.