Before you ask yourself ” Do I Need To Clean My Gutters?” Know this: The best time to do the spring gutter cleaning is early spring for those April showers hit (it can be hard to pinpoint a day to do this because winter can be sporadic when it decides to stop), so watch the weather and when it seems like a few days of nice warm weather bust out your ladder and cleaning supplies or give a local professional a call to set up a date for them to do it for you.
If you’re thinking that your gutter do not need to be cleaned twice a year, we have a few facts that might change your mind.
1. Leaves that were slow at falling off the trees and found their way into your gutters in the late winter are in your gutters now waiting for a big rain so they can clog up your gutters and cause for a million more problems.
2. Roof Debris from winter storms and winds are waiting to be washed into your gutters yet again clogging them up to annoying amounts.
3. Clogged gutters can lead to mold and mildew problems. If an excessive amount of water pools by the foundation of your home it can seep under your home and become a big problem.
4. If left unchecked, clogged gutters can cause wood rot on your home’s fascia boards, soffits and eaves. When this occurs, gutters must be removed from your home so the damaged wood can be replaced. Clogged gutters are also a popular breeding ground for mosquitoes!
5. Also speaking of pests such as mosquitoes, birds are coming back to build nests for their young and gutter debris are high quality building materials for birds, rodents, etc.
Things To Remember When Cleaning Your Gutters
- Ladder Safety. One of the biggest at home injuries include falls from ladders. Make sure to have a gutter cleaning partner that can hold the ladder and also hand you tools if needed.
- Remove large debris first then use water hose to wash other debris out of your gutters. (Using a pressure washer is a bigger risk because it can rip your gutters from your home if hit at the right angle.)
- Never put yourself in an uncomfortable situation. If you do not feel comfortable on a ladder, please call a professional.
Another thing to think about is investing in a gutter guard for your gutters. It not only helps preventing clogs in your gutters. It could help for all the rain that will come in April and May. There are quite a few different options to choose from when looking at gutter guards. You can see a comparison of the different types of gutter guards on another blog post that we did a few months back.
For a free estimate on gutter cleaning, repairs or adding gutter guards, call us today! Our experienced team will take the guess-work out of the process, and ensure that your home is protected.
Tags: Charlottesville Virginia, Construction and Maintenance, Debris, Gutter Guard, Gutter Guards, Gutters, Gutters and Guards, injury prevention, Lynchburg Virginia, Rain, Rain gutter, Spring cleaning, Virginia, Weather